Bookmark Jamaica-Gleaner.com
Go-Jamaica Gleaner Classifieds Discover Jamaica Youth Link Jamaica
Business Directory Go Shopping inns of jamaica Local Communities

Home
Lead Stories
News
Business
Sport
Commentary
Letters
Entertainment
Profiles in Medicine
International
More News
The Star
Financial Gleaner
Overseas News
The Voice
Communities
Hospitality Jamaica
Google
Web
Jamaica- gleaner.com

Archives
1998 - Now (HTML)
1834 - Now (PDF)
Services
Find a Jamaican
Careers
Library
Power 106FM
Weather
Subscriptions
News by E-mail
Newsletter
Print Subscriptions
Interactive
Chat
Dating & Love
Free Email
Guestbook
ScreenSavers
Submit a Letter
WebCam
Weekly Poll
About Us
Advertising
Gleaner Company
Contact Us
Other News
Stabroek News



Akhtar in line for recall
published: Wednesday | July 16, 2008


Pakistan's Shoaib Akhtar (right) and Mohammad Asif. - File

RAWALPINDI, Pakistan (AP):

THE PAKISTAN Cricket Board recalled fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar for its preliminary Champions Trophy squad and suspended paceman Mohammad Asif pending his doping case.

"Asif has been suspended until the drug tribunal of the Indian Premier League (IPL) completes its inquiry," PCB's chief operating officer, Shafqat Naghmi, said yesterday. "For the time being, he is suspended from playing all forms of the game until further decision, which includes the right of appeal."

Asif tested positive for a banned substance during the IPL tournament held in between April and May, organisers of the lucrative Twenty20 tournament revealed on Monday, the third time in three years the bowler has been involved in a drug controversy.

"Since Asif competed in a tournament outside Pakistan, we will honour findings of the IPL drug tribunal and will assist them if required," Naghmi said.

Asif has denied using performance-enhancing substances and asked for his 'B' sample to be tested, his right under the World Anti-Doping Agency regulations. A doping violation is confirmed if the backup sample tests positive.

Return

Akhtar returned among the provisional list of 30 players after a court in Lahore last month suspended his 18-month ban for a disciplinary breach.

The squad included five uncapped players - batsmen Ahmed Shahzad and Azhar Ali, along with fast bowlers Mohammad Ali, Mohammad Amir and Anwar Ali.

Experienced middle-order batsman Mohammad Yousuf made himself unavailable because the dates for Champions Trophy, September 11-28, clashed with the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

Naghmi said that all the 30 probables would have to undergo doping tests - on July 19 and 20.

"We have a zero-tolerance policy toward doping and any one of the probables who does not give a sample or his test comes out positive will not be considered for the final 15-member squad," Naghmi said.

Beside doping tests, Naghmi said that all the probables would have to undergo fitness tests before the final 15-man team is announced on August 11.

Dropped

Wicketkeeper Kamran Akmal, who was dropped from the Asia Cup team due to poor form, also returned among the probables.

The Champions Trophy involves the top eight cricket nations, including defending champions Australia, England, South Africa, New Zealand, West Indies, India and Sri Lanka.

Karachi, Lahore and Rawalpindi are scheduled to host five matches each during the 18-day tournament.

Pakistan probables: Shoaib Malik (captain), Misbah-ul-Haq, Salman Butt, Nasir Jamshed, Khurram Manzoor, Ahmed Shehzad, Khalid Latif, Yasir Hameed, Younis Khan, Azhar Ali, Bazid Khan, Shahid Afridi, Sohail Tanvir, Fawad Alam, Mohammad Hafeez, Yasir Arafat, Mansoor Amjad, Shoaib Akhtar, Umar Gul, Mohammad Ali, Rao Iftikhar, Sohail Khan, Abdur Rauf, Wahab Riaz, Anwar Ali, Mohammad Amir, Kamran Akmal, Sarfraz Ahmed, Abdul Rehman, Saeed Ajmal.

More Sport



Print this Page

Letters to the Editor

Most Popular Stories






© Copyright 1997-2008 Gleaner Company Ltd.
Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Letters to the Editor | Suggestions | Add our RSS feed
Home - Jamaica Gleaner