Bookmark Jamaica-Gleaner.com
Go-Jamaica Gleaner Classifieds Discover Jamaica Youth Link Jamaica
Business Directory Go Shopping inns of jamaica Local Communities

Home
Lead Stories
News
Business
Sport
Commentary
Letters
Entertainment
Flair
More News
The Star
Financial Gleaner
Overseas News
The Voice
Communities
Hospitality Jamaica
Google
Web
Jamaica- gleaner.com

Archives
1998 - Now (HTML)
1834 - Now (PDF)
Services
Find a Jamaican
Careers
Library
Power 106FM
Weather
Subscriptions
News by E-mail
Newsletter
Print Subscriptions
Interactive
Chat
Dating & Love
Free Email
Guestbook
ScreenSavers
Submit a Letter
WebCam
Weekly Poll
About Us
Advertising
Gleaner Company
Contact Us
Other News
Stabroek News



Madrid not confident, but ready to negotiate
published: Monday | July 7, 2008


Man United's Cristiano Ronaldo

WIMBLEDON, England (AP):

Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon is ready to begin transfer talks with Manchester United over Cristiano Ronaldo, but is not confident about signing the winger even if Manchester United consents.

While Ronaldo has stoked up the possibility of moving to the Spanish champion, no transfer request has been submitted and United has vowed to retain the player who scored 42 goals last season.

Time for offer

"Theoretically there is still time as there are two months before the end of August if Manchester United gets in touch with Real Madrid and makes an offer," Calderon told reporters yesterday before watching Rafael Nadal in the Wimbledon final against Roger Federer. "But we don't know if it would be feasible once a sale is proposed."

Calderon is ready to begin transfer talks if United consents, but he is prepared for Ronaldo remaining with the defending English and European champion.

"It depends on what Man-chester wants. Once Manchester decides whom it wants to sell and communicates with us in a concrete manner and makes a petition, we will be able to say we have been in talks of a transfer," Calderon said. "But at this point in time that is not happening and, as a result, it is a situation likely to end as it is now, that is in nothing and Cristiano Ronaldo will continue to play at Manchester next year.

"At this moment it is the most probable outcome."

Calderon risked yesterday enraging United by repeating to reporters the comments that sparked last month's complaint to FIFA about Madrid's conduct.

"(Ronaldo) has said - although he hasn't talked any more about this - that he would like, that it was a dream, that he would be delighted to come and play for Real Madrid," Calderon said. "But it's the player's opinion, or the player's desire, but it cannot go forward without the agreement of Manchester."

Miss start of season

Ronaldo is likely to miss the start of the season with his right ankle set to undergo surgery next week.

United's owning Glazer family is determined not to let Ronaldo leave with just under four years remaining on his Old Trafford contract.

"Their position is to not sell ... we can't do anything," Calderon said.

It is likely that Zinedine Zidane's world record US$65 million (now euro41.6 million) move to Madrid from Juventus in 2001 would have to be beaten if Ronaldo moved to the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium.

"We have not got to the point of talking amounts because Manchester has not given us an opportunity to talk about money," Calderon said.

More Sport



Print this Page

Letters to the Editor

Most Popular Stories






© Copyright 1997-2008 Gleaner Company Ltd.
Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Letters to the Editor | Suggestions | Add our RSS feed
Home - Jamaica Gleaner