BASSETERRE, St Kitts (CMC):
Ex-Test players Gordon Greenidge and Andy Roberts are not among nine nominations received by the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) for the senior team selection panel.
This was confirmed by chief executive officer (CEO) of the WICB, Dr. Donald Peters, during a CMC CricketPlus radio interview at the break between innings of the fourth Digicel Limited overs cricket match between the West Indies and Australia on Friday.
'Tenure is up'
Peters said: "As of today (Friday), we have no selectors as their tenure is up. We have gotten nine nominations for the post of selector and we will be making a decision on composition of the new panel when the WICB meets in Barbados on July 12."
The outgoing panel comprises Greenidge, Roberts and Guyanese Clyde Butts.
Pressed further to reveal the names of the nine nominees, Peters would only say: "I have not seen the names of Greenidge (Gordon) and Roberts (Andy) among the nine. What I can say is that the list is packed with recently retired West Indies cricketers."
Peters added that he could not divulge the names of the nine nominees before getting their permission.
"I need to speak to the candidates before we can reveal their names to the Caribbean public. Remember, job application is a very private matter and a candidate may not want his name made public in the event that he fails to land the job."
Only last week, West Indies captain Chris Gayle admitted to discord between himself and the regional selection panel over policy for the Digicel One-Day International series.
Speaking to the media on Thursday ahead of the fourth ODI against Australia at Warner Park on Friday, Gayle said he had sometimes been left in the dark over decisions on selection and conceded that there had also been a breakdown in communication on some issues.