ROSEAU, Dominica, CMC - Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit says he will not engage in any public confrontations with the Integrity Commission that meets on February 25 to begin an inquiry into allegations against him.
“As you recognise I have never said anything on this matter, the Integrity Commission has taken its decisions I will take my decision in so far as defending myself.
“We believe that the approach is wrong and my lawyers are dealing with this matter but I am not going to say anything other than that about the Commission and its hearing,” Skerrit said.
Last month, the Integrity Commission said it would commence its probe into allegations that Skerrit breached the Integrity in Public Office’s (IPO) Code of Conduct.
The inquiry which was first scheduled for December 17 last year was postponed due to a challenge by the Prime Minister’s legal team in response to a complaint made by journalist Lennox Linton.
The Prime Minister’s legal team argued that the inquiry was “unlawful” and some of the members of Commission were “politically bias” and may not be able to adjudicate fairly.
But the Commission ruled against Skerrit’s legal team said that the opening statements will be heard on February 25.
Linton alleges that Prime Minister Skerrit violated the Act after he allegedly used his “official influence” as Chairman of the Cabinet to secure concessions for a business concern in which he is alleged to hold ownership interest.
“It’s just a matter for when the time comes for the appropriate decision to be taken but I’m not going to engage myself in any public confrontations with any institution created by law,” Skerrit said.